There are many different groups whose baskets are available at Calabash Gifts. We feature a unique collection of merchandise for sale.
Each group has a distinct style of basket which is made of materials found in their own environment. The baskets are an important part of the culture of the group and reflect the traditional manner in which that group uses baskets for collecting, preparing, serving and storing food. The baskets are used for traditional and religious ceremonies. The techniques of making the baskets are passed down from generation to generation and some specific features are unique for a particular family.
The baskets come in many different styles, sizes and prices.
Among the groups are represented in the collection are baskets from the following countries and their tribal groups:
- Botswana-- very finely cut straw
- Zulu--Reeds and telephone wire
- Ndebele--straw and beads for decoration and wooden strips from tree bark
- Swazi-- brightly colored sisal twine
- Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tonga, Makenge, Nigeria--straw
- Ghana--straw covered with Leather or plastic and then decorated with cowrie shells
- Ethiopia--dyed straw
- Tanzania--beaded wire